Saturday, August 30, 2008

Eye Five

I can tell that it's time to return to a less exhaust-fumed normalcy when my 
attempts at humor annoy even myself. I'll shoot up the famous San Joachin Valley Interstate and land back in Berkeley sometime this evening. It's probably reasonably clear that I have no excitement about doing so. Were it not for the facts that I have a boatload of work to catch up on plus that I miss friends from my church, my choir and other spiritual corners of my life (you know who you are), well.... I'd be doing something else. And it's being swirled about and prayed over.

Susan and I hit PCH yesterday and cruised to Malibu. Portions of the beach are clearly delineated; this area for surfers only, this for swimmers and those otherwise sloshing about. The weather was Southern California perfect, in the upper 70's with a gentle haze muting too much glare and melanotic taunts. The traffic was normal, meaning almost bumper-to-bumper en route out. Alice's Restaurant is no longer at the Malibu Pier, I am sad to announce. No star sightings, although we looked while trying very hard to seem as though we were not. 


I did however spot a true California Beach bunny! 

It must be a Malibu phenomenon. We never saw them in Venice.

I saw a roadrunner scamper across the highway as I entered Arizona. We'll see what I-5 has to show.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pray about it of course, but remember that part of what makes a place magical is that it's special and only visited, never lived in. If we all lived in Faerie, it wouldn't be magic anymore. So, too, are the places, the little Edens that are the solace and balm of our souls. If we lived in them, they would quickly lose their lustre and we'd be looking for that elusive perfect place again.

Peace to thee,

--M--

Diane said...

"M" - thank you for your gentle, apt wisdom. If I know you, shoot me an email ... and if I don't, I'm touched you're reading my travel blog. The yes/and/but swirling the calling of a particular place is best deeply unwrapped than alluded to, but even in 12-Step land there exists the duality of "pulling a geographic." It is often discarded as escapism, for (pardon the cliche) 'wherever I go, there I am'... however an occasionally missed perk of changing locales is to change the locale. If I live next to a freeway and need quiet, it's time to go. If a ministry is place-centered, off I go. And in the glorious Now are God's great gifts. It's a bit of a juggle.... Peace to you, as well!

Anonymous said...

Just an acquaintance from St. Mark's who was wondering where you'd gotten to.

The leaves are lovely in Seattle in the fall, by the way.

M

Diane said...

Hi "M"! My fuzz brain can think of an ML or an MU at this point.... thank you for waving. I'm first initial & last name at mac dot com, by the way. And I've been 5 years at St. Paul's in San Rafael CA, primarily in our Choir. That's my only anchoring ahhhh when the skitter-about faeries whisper in my ear. :-)

Anonymous said...

It's good to hear you're still doing music. Some of us still miss Owl.

--M--

Diane said...

Ah yes, mystery --M--..... ah yes. I've shifted from folk to liturgical, not having sung into a mic in 5 years. A capella is hard. It's joy, however. Choir practice is tonight.... Messiaen is this Sunday! I prefer Tallis.... blessings to you.