Friday, August 8, 2008

Maggie Valley to Wildacres Retreat

Up in the exceedingly rural hills of Little Switzerland, NC, the satellite internet connection I am loathe to call broadband is clunking along. There may or may not be a catch-up 'hi, y'all!' from another time.  I won't know until I hit the right button. 

The porch which I hope will stay to my left is one of several of my friend Joan's. Her jaw-dropping gorgeous home is an occasional respite from her whirlwind world travels, primarily for the consulting work she does. The 4000' elevation makes the water pressure weak. That was absolutely the only complaint that could be made (and even that was a chuckling stretch) about her glorious perch high up in the mountains. We had a ball. Note to visitors: You can give Ghost Town a miss. But we did it all (such as was doable, including Skeeball which I had not played since, oh, I was 12?) in an hour. 

Butterflies are everywhere on this journey, in this part of the world. I'm not a butterflyologer so I can't name 'em, but they breeze past human presence while on a get outta my way NOW mission to every blooming flower imaginable. Their collection of nectar is almost ferocious, after which some of them seem to need a day-long siesta within the petals of the nearest mammoth bloom. 

There are a few dear souls on this planet to whom I continue to offer a measure of unconditional love in spite of their audacious and might one even say cruel poking fun of my latest venture: Camp Do Re Mi. Go ahead. Laugh. There are 70 of us here including commuters (now that's a stretch!). I believe two dozen were turned away. It's their 2nd year, it's connected to Shape Note Singing about which I know almost nothing, I'm the only Californian, and so far - while, well, a bit different, it is fun. As my choir director has said and about which only ten or so people will smirk, they all sing like Jack. For those of you who don't know Jack, let's just say that Shape Note or Christian Harmony singing isn't about subtlety and nuance. It is ALL THERE and more. Part of the reason I am here is because my church choir (as most) takes the summer off and if I don't do something then my voice gets out of shape. If last night is any promise of our two-day vocal extravaganza, I will be hoarse before Sunday morning. But smiling.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You didn't look like a hoarse last time I saw you - what have you done to yourself ?

Oh and by the way , yoo Americans need to learn to spel !

XX

UK Mike

Diane said...

Now now! Be nice. You remind me of a British professor who thought it was incredulous that us Yanks did not pronounce "cartoon" as "car-tyune." It tells you how vibrant were his priorities in the class....