Monday, July 21, 2008

first, the virtual or at least a nod to memorabilia

I know grown men who were traumatized as little kids by seeing the flying monkeys in The Wizard of Oz. Decades later I still cry when I hear Judy Garland sing 'Over the Rainbow', which I cannot imagine anyone else in the entire universe attempting to do. I am a sap. And with a 2-day driving trip that was SO not smart I still managed to budget an off-road jaunt to a little Kansas museum filled with Ozesque memorabilia. I think I am still trying to atone for having attended the 1970 MGM Studios sale and not paid $5 for some used period dress. For my $6 admission fee (with AAA card), I wandered, I gawked, I roared in silent mental outrage at the tchotchke markups, I bought, I left. 


It was worth it. I couldn't not have gone. It was silly and I loved it. 

Driving nearly a thousand miles in two days was not terribly bright. However I arrived at Susan and Klaus's beautiful home in Roswell, Georgia (it's a gracious Atlanta suburb) with 45 minutes (rather than the 3-4 hours originally hoped) in which to shower and stagger into their car for a BRILLIANT Wynton Marsalis concert at the Atlanta Symphony Hall. I do not have a fine-tuned lust for jazz. I don't listen to it for the most part. I was jaw-dropping stunned in sheer delight. What a birthday treat and as well to reunite with my beloved friends!

I'll write more later on where we met 15 years ago, musings on why some resonances continue while others sigh and wander off.... and say thanks to you who sent birthday emails and calls and real cards waiting for me in Berkeley, to which I can only respond monosyllabically for the present moment. Yes. Thank you again.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Diane! What a fabulous way to spend your special day! I don't have your Berkeley address yet for a card but send my love just the same.
My niece and my cat both share your birthday also.
I have loved these first years in the 50's decade. New seasons, new chapters in life, new levels of relationships, new perspectives. I keep telling the 40-somethings that Fifty is Fabulous!
Loving the Blog & Pictures
Cathy

Anonymous said...

who is the Anonymouse Mike ?

Rosemary , the telephonist ?

Nope !

Sarge ?

Nope !

Henry , the mild - mannered janitor ?

Nope !

Mike , the super - hero UK pilot ?

Could be !

Rats , my secret identity has been discovered !

Thought for the day - hope you realised that when you were is Oz - land , you were also in Seward County.

I am omni-present , like someone else you know . . . .

He is watching over you too !

x x x